Monday, November 28, 2005

My thoughts about Beaujolais nouveau

As most of you know, I worked in the restaurant business for more than 30 years and I have many memories of ' Le beaujolais nouveau'.
In the past it was quite a treat to have the first taste of the new wine.
But as my taste buds matured, i realised that the majority of the wine wasn't worth sprinkling on my chips!
It s the only red wine that you serve cold, I began to realise why. But we used to have a good evening with a french menu, well in those days it was 'Chicken a la creme' mussels marinieres and if you were lucky crepes suzzette.

There used to be supposed races to have the first bottle on the table. It was just like the first grouse, on the glorious 12th. August. Straight from the freeezer!!

Call me an old sceptic!
Peter

No comments: